Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Krazy Kat | High Yellow Notes | Gloria Swanson

The weather, for the foreseeable future, is awful. Downcast, tepid air, dank...the sky spits on us from above! However, this is of no concern. For my plans--dear ones--were to paint, read, and gamble away precious hours cavorting through the interwebular world (this last one needs no justification, I've uncovered many many life changing and fabulous things by 'wasting time'--and money). In fact I did put in a very satisfying amount of work. I set-up a pleasurable still life and proceeded with a canvas (a material I don't usually use) of a fairly large size (something I've been meaning to do) with the hopes of attaining something of the more classical approach. I feel successful and you'll just have to wait for the evidence.

The Krazy Kat

It's curious to ponder all the new fangled ways the Internet allows for total stagnation. PRODUCTIVE stagnation, even. For example, these wonderful Shorpy finds have me longing for my own group of les bohemes and with our own bohemian tree-house cafe-bar!




The Krazy Kat Club in Washington D.C. featured some sort of...classy vagabond tree fort dining/smoking/painting area...a more primitive way to waste time. These photos are from 1921.



High Yellow Notes

The following paintings are proving to be huge inspirations for me and my current artistic ventures.


Van Gogh, Vincent: "Harvest", 1888

Toulouse-Lautrec, Henri: "At the Moulin Rouge", 1890

Van Gogh, Vincent: "Nature Morte Aux Oranges"



Van Gogh, I think, was referring to "Harvest" when he spoke of achieving his high yellow note. So so beautiful, this is what I admire about paint!


Timeless Fashion Muse





Strong, ethereal-- Elle est la femme fatale extraordinaire. Gloria Swanson's beauty is flanked by rich fabrics and feathers. There is not a single reason why grace like hers could not be achieved this very day.

No comments: